Weekend Project: Learning to Draw a Hand Holding a Gun....

Among all the other projects I have going on, I also have this strong desire to write a comic strip.  I already have my main character (modeled after myself, lol!), concept and a few story lines, and I'm trying to learn how to improve my drawing so that I can do all my own illustration.  After rough sketching out a strip sequence earlier today, I realized that I really don't know how to draw a gun.  Even harder?  Drawing a hand holding a gun.  It's a bit harder than you might think!  As the heavens are always on my side, I magically saw a gun on a poster in the subway on my way home (immediately AFTER drawing out the panes of my strip and realizing I didn't know how to do a hand with a gun, now, is that fate or what?).  A poster with nothing else except a giant gun on it!   SO random to see that just when I needed it.  I did a rough sketch of it before the train came:


I see that I still have some work to do on this.  The train came before I could get to the details.  To figure out how to draw a gun in a hand, I just Googled "gun in hand" and selected certain ones to sketch.  The first few are awful, but I think I will soon get it.  Practice, practice, practice! 


I will practice this until I get it right.
Why do I need to be able to draw a gun in a hand?  Well, if and when you meet my character, you will understand why.  She's a bit of an avenging angel and she's got a whole lotta vigilante in her..... (in the crudely drawn panes at the top of this collage of my sketches, you can see part of what I'm trying to do.  I drew those panes before practicing gun drawing -click to enlarge)  When I do the finished, polished strip, trust me, it will look better than that one!  For real! ;)

0 comments: